Skip to content

About

Sugar Mill
Sugar Mill

Founded in 1962, with one of the aims being to gather historical records of the Canterbury District, the Society has since the mid 1980's operated a Family and Local History Research Centre in the historic Beulah Vista home, located in Church St. Canterbury.

The aim of the Society is....

  • To encourage the study of history, both of the Canterbury District and Australia.
  • To collect records and objects relating to Canterbury's history.
  • To publish journals, periodicals and books relating to the history of Canterbury.
  • Membership Fees:  
  • Regular Member; $20 per annum,                                    Pensioner, Senior, Student, $15 per annum,                    Families/Institutions, $25 per annum                               Supporter/Friends Member (non voting) $5 per annum

Latest news from our Facebook Page

4 days ago

Canterbury & District Historical Society

17 Linda Street, Belfield was built by S Moyle in 1929. The builder lived in the house for a time before surrendering it to the War Services Homes. On the 5 January 1931 William and Minnie Booth purchased the home placing a deposit of ten pounds ten and sixpence. The purchase price was 875 pounds. During the Depression Mrs Booth wrote to the War Services Homes requesting reduced rates and a deferment until the purchase price was paid. This was granted. Mr and Mrs Booth paid their final payment on their home in 1953. Mrs Booth had to replace the Metter Gas Stove which cost one pound 1 shilling (that is one guinea). Mr Des and his wife Edna Cramp moved into the home in 1959 with Edna's mother, Mrs Booth.

Courtesy of Des and Edna Cramp and Canterbury-Bankstown Local History Photograph Collection.
...

View on Facebook

2 weeks ago

Canterbury & District Historical Society

#FlashbackFriday A horse-drawn wagon travels north on Canterbury Road at Hurlstone Park in 1908. This is believed to have been taken near the modern-day intersection with Princess Street.
#whereinterestinghappens #history
...

View on Facebook

2 weeks ago

Canterbury & District Historical Society

And now we carry our phones in our hands. What will they be using in a 100 years#FlashbackFriday

This telephone was installed about 1918 and was apparently the first telephone in Campsie. It was in the first shop in Beamish Street, Campsie. It was transferred to 38 Campsie Street in about 1920 and remained in use until late 1960's.

Courtesy Mr E.J Allen and Canterbury-Bankstown Local History Photograph Collection.
...

View on Facebook

Five visitors to Beulah Vista this afternoon. It’s nice to see people are interested in This old house and the heritage of Canterbury.
Two new members and Colin successfully helped one of our visitors find out some more information about her house’s history.
...

View on Facebook

3 weeks ago

Canterbury & District Historical Society

Canterbury District & Historical Society has a range fo family records and photos relating to the Canterbury District at their research centre Beulah Vista Church St Canterbury
Open Days 1st Saturday of the month 1.30 to 4.30 pm.
Open Day tomorrow 4 AugustMany families who lived in the Canterbury area have submitted photos and information of their family lives living at different times of social change. These are a lasting record of what life was like and their personal perspectives of growing up and in many cases what their family contributed to the local history of the area. Information is available by making an appointment with our Local History Staff at Campsie Library and Knowledge Centre on 9789 9423.

The Molloy family of 77 Lincoln Street Belfield (Campsie at that time) was one such family.

Courtesy Bill Molloy and Canterbury-Bankstown Local History Photograph Collection.
...

View on Facebook

Leave a Reply